Summer is here and we’ve got the top 10 scenic lookout spots around Wellington that you need to visit! Grab your friends and make a plan – knock these off your summer bucket list!
Use #wellingtonlive on Instagram!
1. Mt Victoria. It’s the most well known lookout in Wellington, and the amazing views explain why. Look out over the city during day or night and be wowed. Watch the planes take off and land at the airport and relax with a picnic and friends. You can park up top and then walk for less than a minute to get to the lookout!
2. Paekakariki Hill Road Lookout. The views of the ocean are breathtaking from this lookout. You’ll have to drive up a long windy hill to get to the lookout, but it’s worth it. This lookout is the best place for sunsets during winter as the sun sets directly over the ocean in front of you. During summer, it’s great to visit during the day to see the bright blue sea.
3. Brooklyn Wind Turbine. You can drive right to the top, or walk up. Amazing views over Wellington will make you want to spend the day there. Definitely bring your friends and a picnic.
4. Mount Kaukau. This is the highest point in Wellington for views. You have to walk about an hour to get to this view so be prepared with water and good shoes. Tracks to Mount Kaukau begin at Woodmancote Road and Simla Crescent in Khandallah, Sirsi Terrace in Broadmeadows, and Truscott Avenue in Johnsonville.
5. Wrights Hill. From the back of Karori you can reach the top of Wrights Hill for great city views. Park on Wrights Hill road and walk the track to the top. You’ll even find gun emplacement’s on this walk!
6. Breaker Bay Hills. Up above Breaker Bay on the South Coast is a beautiful cliffside walk filled with several great viewpoints over the Cook Straight, and the bay below. Several old bunkers are located on the walk to add some history in. Grab your friends and a camera and get amazing shots from this walk.
7. Colonial Knob. Over in Porirua you’ll find the Colonial Knob walkway. The loop walk can take 3 – 4 hours so make it a day trip and bring a picnic. You’ll be stunned with amazing views over Porirua, and out north with the ocean.
8. Wainuiomata Lookout. This lookout is easy to get to as you park right outside it. If heading over from Lower Hutt, you’ll have to drive over the Wainuiomata Hill then turn around at the roundabout since you can only access the lookout car park from the other side of the road. This is a great spot for sunsets!
9. Te Whiti Riser. This lookout is similar to the Wainuimata lookout, but much better! You’ll have views all over the Hutt, and towards Wellington City. You’ll need to walk up the Te Whiti Riser track at the back of Te Whiti Park to get to the peak. It’s uphill all the way so bring lots of water and energy!
10. Rimutaka Hill Lookout. You’ll have to drive up the Rimutaka Hill Road to get to this lookout but it’s worth it! The views over the hills are stunning. In winter you can even get snow here.
Going to visit any of these lookouts? Make sure to send your photos to us on Facebook, and post on Instagram with the hashtag #wellingtonlive if you’d like us to share! Our Instagram is @wellingtonlive, give us a follow to see the best of Wellington!
If you can snap a photo at each of these 10 locations making a “W” sign with your hands this summer and be the first to send them to us we’ll shout you a free pizza dinner! (Photoshop is not allowed!)