From today, pets are allowed to travel on public transport in Wellington, and they don’t need a ticket.
There are rules however around this. Below are the rules listed on the Metlink website:
- Your pet is your responsibility, including getting on and off the bus or train
- You can only take your pet during off peak times (9:00am to 3:00pm and after 6:30pm during week days, and all day weekends and public holidays)
- If the vehicle is crowded, Metlink staff can ask you to wait for the next service
- If your pet is disrupts other customers you may be asked to get off at the next stop or station.
- The good news is they travel for free.